Top Attractions For Warragul

Historic Buildings and the Museum - The court house in Smith St, built in 1887, is classified by the National Trust, while the Wesley Uniting Church in Victoria St opened in 1889. The Warragul Historical Museum, containing local history and dairy exhibits, is situated in the old shire hall (1892). Of further historical interest is the Warragul Vintage Craft Park in Copelands Road which contains functioning examples of old farm equipment, a miniature steam train which carries visitors through the park and gardens, as well as barbecue and picnic facilities. Entrance is free and there is a playground for children.


Phone: (03) 5622-1399
Address: Victoria St, Warragul VIC 3820, Australia
Warragul Cinemas

Warragul Cinemas

The building in which the Warragul Cinema Centre occupies has a long and interesting history. Situated in the central business district it has been the primary entertainment venue for Warragul and surrounding areas since the 1930's when Mr. W.A Lawson built and operated an impressive cinema and live theatre.

From the 1930's to 1950's the building underwent a series of re-developments. With a seating capacity of 960 complete with stage, dress circle and stalls and near perfect acoustics, this building was the venue for all-live shows and public hall events such as school speech night's etc. within the area. It proudly boasts the appearance of the renowned pianist, Winifred Artwell who played to a packed house. Even the local boy, Lionel Rose boxed at this venue. It was and still is the hub of entertainment for the district.

As was the case with many large entertainment venues, the theatre closed in the late 1970's and for a brief period, shops and offices leased the downstairs section of the building. The upstairs space remained empty prior to an indoor Cricket Club occupying this area that is currently our cinema premises.

In the late 1990's Graeme and Deborah Hollingsworth saw the need for a cinema complex in the district and persuaded the owners of the building to once again develop the site.

The Warragul Cinema Centre re-opened its doors to the public on 1st January 1998 as a modern three screen cinema complex. With a seating capacity of 430, large screens, Dolby sound systems and screening a large number of blockbuster, main stream and art-house movies, the centre has once again become the entertainment hub of the district.

In July 2002 The Warragul Cinema Centre became part of the Peninsula Cinema Group.

Last Updated: Thursday 28th January, 2016